Handicap International Kenya Volunteer Ship Opportunities
CLOSING DATE: 8TH JUNE 2016
Handicap International (HI) is an independent and impartial international aid organization working in situations of poverty and exclusion, conflict and disaster. Working alongside persons with disabilities and other vulnerable groups, our action and testimony are focused on responding to their essential needs, improving their living conditions and promoting respect for their dignity and their fundamental rights.
HI identified the need for a volunteer to work with the Armed Violence Reduction (AVR) and Ubuntu Care Project in North Western Kenya.
PROJECT SPECIFIC OBJECTIVE
THE ARMED VIOLENCE REDUCTION PROJECT
Aims to improve community safety behaviours and enhance dialogue between affected communities and government stakeholders on issues of small arms and sexual gender based violence in West Pokot, Trans Nzoia and Turkana counties.
THE UBUNTU CARE PROJECT
The project aims to address the root causes and mitigate the consequences of violence against children especially those with disabilities in Trans Nzoia County.
GENERAL OBJECTIVE OF THE VOLUNTEERSHIP
The volunteer shall support in the implementation of projects activities as indicated in the implementation plan. He/she will support the Project Officers in the documentation of projects reports.
SPECIFIC OBJECTIVES OF THE INTERNSHIP
The volunteer is to contribute to a variety of project activities in Kitale by providing specific support to the projects for the smooth running of activities.
PLANNED ACTIVITIES OF THE VOLUNTEER
Within the framework of the service provision, the intern will collaborate with Handicap International Kitale staff. He / she will work closely with and report directly to the Project Manager – AVR . He /she will be directly contributing in the following activities:
- Actively take part in planning and organizing of the project activities.
- Assisting the project officers to follow-up on field activities with the partners
- Assisting with follow-up of beneficiaries identified by partners
- Providing reports for activities attended to the Project Officers.
- Assisting the project team in CPR data analysis (Evaluate monthly CPR reports as per data Tool)
- Assisting in the filling in of the task force data base.
- Participating in making follow up in implementation of action plans developed during trainings.
- Assisting the team in quality assurance and monitoring field operations
- Archiving in soft copy, all participants list for outreach/ seminars/trainings and community dialogue.
- The volunteer will have learned about the organization and the operations of AVR and Ubuntu projects.
- He / she will gain experience on project management
- Gained skills in report writing and from trainings attended
- Updated Beneficiary data
- All participants list archived in soft copy storage
- Monthly feedback report submitted to Project manager on 2nd day of every month
- Final internship report
DURATION AND LOCATION OF THE VOLUNTEERSHIP
The volunteer ship is for a period of three months renewable for a further three months subject to performance. He/she will only be receiving a daily meal and transport allowance of Kshs. 700 per working day (Monday to Friday) subject to statutory deductions, paid once a month in advance.
The volunteer will be based in Kitale.
REQUIREMENTS FOR THE VOLUNTEER
- Holder of or currently a third year student, pursuing a Bachelor’s degree in Project Management, Peace and Conflict, Sociology, Psychology or any other social sciences from a recognized institution.
- Ready to gain hands on experience for at least 3 months
- A letter of recommendation from school if currently studying
- Good interpersonal skills
- Computer and internet literate
- Should be a team player and have the ability to multitask
- Should be able to work in remote community set up.
- Should be available for at least 3 months
- Open to learning and can work with minimum supervision.
The Volunteer / intern is to comply with the Staff regulations for HI –TUSK Programme
If you feel you are the right candidate for this position, kindly send your application along with an up-to-date CV(including 3 referees with their current official contacts) by email to :- firstname.lastname@example.org on or before 8th June, 2016, 5:00 pm .
The email subject line should be marked: “Application for Project Volunteer position Kitale”
Only short listed candidates with the above qualifications and skills will be contacted.
Please do not send your academic and other testimonials they will be requested at a later stage
Related Job Vacancies Listings