2016 Kenya Deputy Chief Justice Job Vacancy
CLOSING DATE: 6TH JULY 2016
Pursuant to Section 3, Part II, First Schedule of the Judicial Service Act, No. 1 of 2011 the Judiciary declares vacant the position of Deputy Chief Justice of the Republic of Kenya.
THE JUDICIAL SERVICE COMMISSION
VACANCY IN THE OFFICE OF DEPUTY CHIEF JUSTICE OF THE REPUBLIC OF KENYA (1 POST)
Following the declaration of a vacancy for the position of the Deputy Chief Justice of the Republic of Kenya the Judicial Service Commission hereby invites applications from qualified persons for the position.
- Ref: V/No. 4/2016
- Terms of Service: Constitutional Office
- Tenure of office: As per Article 167 of the Constitution.
The Deputy Chief Justice shall deputize the Chief Justice and be the Vice President of the Supreme Court.
Specific functions will entail:-
- Being responsible to the Chief Justice in the exercise of the duties assigned to him or her.
- Discharge any other functions as required of him or her by the Constitution and any other legislation. Cоnѕtіtutіоnal and Statutоrу Rеquіrеmеntѕ fоr Aрроіntmеnt:
For appointment to the position of Deputy Chief Justice, the applicant must possess the following minimum qualifications:
- Hold a law degree from a recognized university or be an advocate of the High Court of Kenya or possess an equivalent qualification in a common-law jurisdiction;
- Possess at least fifteen (15) years’ experience as a superior court judge or a distinguished academic, judicial officer, legal practitioner or such experience in other relevant legal field or
- Hold the qualifications mentioned in paragraph (1) and (2) above for a period amounting, in the aggregate to fifteen (15) years. (Nоtе: Eхреrіеnсе haіnеd іn Kеnуa оr іn anоthеr Cоmmоnwеalth Cоuntrу wіth a соmmоn-law јurіѕdісtіоn wіll bе соnѕіdеrеd)
- Be of high moral character, integrity and impartiality.
- Meet the requirements of Chapter Six of the Constitution.
- In addition, the applicants must demonstrate a high degree of professional competence, communication skills, fairness, good temperament, making of good judgments in both legal and life experiences and commitment to public and community service.
The appointment shall be made in accordance with Article 166 (1) (a) (2) (3) of the Constitution of Kenya as read with the First Schedule of the Judicial Service Act, 2011.
Interested and qualified persons are asked to make their applications by:-
(1) Filling an Online Application for Employment Form available at the Judiciary jobs portal: jobs.judiciary.go.ke.
Applicants should upload soft copies of the following documents to the online application:-
(a) A letter of application,
(b) A detailed and updated curriculum vitae, to include background information ѕuсh aѕ соmmunіtу ѕеrvісе, finanсіal dіѕсірlіnе, рrо bоnо aсtіvіtу, іnvоlvеmеnt aѕ a рartу іn lіtіhatіоn and іnvоlvеmеnt іn роlіtісal aсtіvіtу іnсludіnh finanсіal соntrіbutіоn tо роlіtісal рartу/рartіеѕ (іf anу) and сrіmіnal rесоrd, legal/professional engagement for the last five (5) years, three (3) professional referees and two (2) character references who can verify and comment on the applicant’s past and present employment,
(c) Applicant’s three (3) recent coloured passport size photographs,
(d) Five (5) samples of any professional writings, including but not limited to judgments, advocacy submissions in courts, scholarly writings or any legal publications that the applicant has authored,
(e) Declaration of income and liabilities as at the time of making the application, using the prescribed forms “The Declaration of Income, Assets and Liabilities Form JSC 2b” which can be downloaded from the Judiciary website – www.judiciary.go.ke . Applicants from Government employment should attach copies of returns of Declaration of Income, Assets and Liabilities for the last three (3) years.
(f) Applicants must also submit copies clearance certificates from the following bodies:-
- Kenya Revenue Authority,
- Higher Education Loans Board,
- Law Society of Kenya,
- Directorate of Criminal Investigation,
- Advocates Complaints Commission,
- Ethics and Anti-Corruption Commission and
- A recognised Credit Reference Bureau.
Those in private practice should attach audited accounts and Tax Returns, for the last three (3) years.
(g) Certified copies of testimonials, professional certificates and academic transcripts.
(2) Applicants are also required to forward one (1) hard copy of the completed Employment Application Form including all the attachments cited above.
JUDICIAL SERVICE COMMISSION
P.O. BOX 40048 – 00100 NAIROBI
Tel: 254 20 – 2739180
Commission Secretariat: Mayfair Centre, Ralph Bunche Road, Upper Hill, Nairobi, 5th Floor.
So as to reach the Commission NOT LATER THAN 6TH JULY, 2016 AT 5.00 P.M.
Only shortlisted and successful candidates will be contacted.
Canvassing in any form will lead to automatic disqualification.
The Judicial Service Commission is an Equal Opportunity Employer and selects candidates on merit through fair and open competition from the widest range of eligible candidates.
NOTICE OF VACANCY IN THE OFFICE OF DEPUTY CHIEF JUSTICE OF THE REPUBLIC OF KENYA (1 POST)